Many students start PhDs at Curtin without even the most basic of computing and data skills. We collaborate with Software Carpentry and Data Carpentry to both teach basic lab skills and provide high-quality, domain-specific training covering the full lifecycle of data-driven research.
The Research Bazaar (ResBaz) is a worldwide festival promoting the digital literacy emerging at the centre of modern research. Throughout 2019 events will be held at a number of university campuses around the globe.
Perth’s ResBaz is a low-cost, 3-day intensive festival and (un-)conference where researchers come together to up-skill in next generation digital research tools and scholarship. In the spirit of a marketplace or bazaar, ResBaz is a highly participatory event where researchers from many different disciplines can learn, share knowledge and skills, and have fun.
ResBaz Perth 2019 will be held at Curtin University from July 2-4.
We are planning to run several parallel streams this year to cater to new as well as more seasoned learners. Training 1 will include the following options:
- Intro to the command line and Version Control (Git)
- Intro to structured data
- Intro to Docker
Training 2 will be run on days 2 and 3 and includes (the level in the brackets refers to your familiarity with programming and not your knowledge of the topic):
- Data analysis and visualisation with Python (beginner level)
- Data analysis and visualisation with R (beginner level)
- Intro to Machine Learning (intermediate to advanced level)
- Genomics (specialisation, intermediate level)
- Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (HASS specialisation, beginner level)